Study Party

Wherein the author shares her ignorance and endeavors to correct it in what is hoped to be an entertaining fashion.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

In Preparation of Geeking Out on World War II

    I'm beginning a rough independent study of WWII. I've read some books and watched even more movies, but have made no real, concerted effort to truly know my shit as regards this subject. Now's the time. I just bought me a lovely 650-page history called Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings, a man who's studied all aspects of WWII for over 35 years. Supposedly it's both completely informative and enjoyable to read. We'll see.  
    A hobby of mine has been making predictions about habits that I mean to form and then failing miserably, so I make no guarantees, but here's the plan:

Every week, I'll read a chapter or two of Inferno and report back to you ('you' meaning the entire internet, obviously) about what I'm learning and any thoughts or feels that may have inspired. Same goes for any other materials I investigate, be they movies, plays, fiction, nonfiction, songs, poems, or interviews with veterans such as my grandfather. I don't actually expect regular readership for such a topic. This is mostly for my own enjoyment and the general improvement of my mind. That said, I will be open to recommendations as to what things other people like on the subject. 

That's it for now, I suppose, not having started the book yet. And when I say 'every week'.... meh. Maybe a regular day will surface naturally, but I'm not going to set one on the calendar. The goal is for this to be as fun as studying WWII can possibly be! Yay. Party time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment